I had a sponsor who always reminded me that whenever I am disturbed I am the problem. I am in fear of either losing something I want or never getting something I think I need. My real problem is my perception of what I need and my perception of how God is or is not working in my life. In order to connect with the solution, which is always spiritual and will never be my own thinking, I follow certain daily steps and so far they have worked.
To bring the slogans to life-no matter which slogan you choose-I pretty much follow the same disciplines. In no particular order:
1. Read 12 step literature or a spiritual meditation book when I arise to set my mind on spiritual, rather than material, goals.
2. Attend a 12-step meeting for the same purpose, as well as to be available to other women in need or to ask for help
3. Pray always, all ways pray. Have constant communication with the Higher Power of my understanding. Acknowledge God's presence and all-encompassing Power and affirm I am on purpose.
4. Do a personal inventory when I am disturbed and identify character defects. Awareness combined with a willingness to surrender the defect, activates the Solution.
5. Run my thinking by my sponsor or my 12 step therapist.
6. Look for ways to serve others at work, at home and around family/friends. The less I am thinking about what I need (self-centeredness), the more likely I am to express God's Power and heal myself and others.